Revision

candyshoe
on 9/15/07 3:13 pm - Kokomo, IN
Has anyone had a revision from a VBG to an RNY?  With the insurance I have (MPlan) in Indiana we have to go through a 6 month program before the insurance will approve us.  Usually, they approve it pretty quickly after the 6 month program. I will have everything done by Oct. 16th.  I would've been done Sept. 25th, but they changed my family appt. with the psychologist to the later date.   I really want to have it done, but am nervous about it because of hearing so much about the scar tissue from previous surgery and the Docs having to cut it away and there is a chance that they could cut into an organ.   If anyone has had this revision, please let me know how things went.  Candy
Sherry C.
on 9/15/07 5:20 pm - Plainview, TX
please look at my profile. I went from stapling to RNY, they make a new pouch, They can not cut across scar tissue except to remove it because it does not have blood supply to let it heal. Good luck, Sherry
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

carlak
on 9/16/07 8:44 am - Bradenton, FL
I was revised from a VBG to A RNY in 02. I have lost 155 pounds and went from 267 the day of surgery to 130 today. I am 5ft 4 inches tall and I did not have any rebound weight gain. I didnt have to do anything with my insurance( Pacificare at the time) They approved me in 24 hours. The only thing I had to do was take a nutrition class before the surgery was done.  They made my pouch a ounce and a half and resected my stomach. and did the anastomosis. Im not sure if I am proximal or Distal. I am not have any problems at all now. Carla Klein
image hosting site

candyshoe
on 9/16/07 3:20 pm - Kokomo, IN
Thanks for that info.  I'll definitely have something to look forward to.  You were approved really fast!  I have MPlan insurance right now and they're probably one of the worst as far as getting approved.  From what I understand, when I get through this 6 month program (see dietician monthly, go to 12 week therapy group, and see a Psychologist 3 times) then I'll probably be approved pretty quickly.  It's a good thing because our insurance is going to quit insuring group plans.  My husband works at Chrysler.  Our contract runs out with them the end of Dec., I think.  I'm almost through the 6 month program and from what I've gathered, everyone in my therapy group should have surgery before the end of the year.  Everyone in this group has the same insurance, just through different jobs.  I will also have to take a nutrition class and see the psychiatrist from the bariatric center I'm going through, plus have some testing done.   Did you lose all of your weight when you had the VBG?  I lost all but 13 lbs. and then started regaining some of it.  I had gained about 47 of the 80 pounds that I lost 10 years ago.  I have lost about 7 of those pounds now.   Did your revision surgery go okay?  No problems?   Thank you for responding to my message. Candy
carlak
on 9/16/07 11:40 pm - Bradenton, FL
Candy, I lost 110 pounds with the VBG and I was on top of the world!!!!! I gained back all and about 40 more came with that. I didnt know I had a staple line rupture. Kaiser wouldnt test me for it. That is good you are loosing now cause youll want your liver to be small for the revision. My surgery went well. It took about 8 hours of surgery cause the doc had to take down the old surgery and redo the RNY. I had incisional infections but that is all cause I was diabetic at the time. I am not now. I am not having any problems now. Where do you live? I think Michigan if you have insurance from Chrysler. Isnt that where all the Car manufatturers are????? If I had to do it again I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Carla
image hosting site

candyshoe
on 9/17/07 3:04 pm - Kokomo, IN
Hi, Carla!  I live in Kokomo, IN.  We have 4 Chrysler plants (even though we're a fairly small town) and had a Delco plant (GM), but it is now Delphi. I'm also a diabetic. I only found out 5 yrs. ago.  Of course I hadn't been to my doctor for 2 or 3 years before that.  I'm not real heavy, but do have alot of co-morbidities and my BMI is over 36. The main reason I want to have this done is because I hate taking medication and forget alot.  So, I don't want to have to take any more meds than necessary.  I know I'll have to take vitamins and calcium, but right now I take meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, degenerative disc disease, allergies (which may not change), GERD and depression.  The depression is mild.  I'm hoping that I can get off most if not all of them.   I hope that I feel the same way you do about being glad that you did it.  I think I will.  I know of some people that have alot of complications even when it isn't a revision, but hopefully, since I only weigh around 200 (sometimes a little over) then I won't have too many problems.  I'm only 5'2", so even though 200 isn't alot for some people, it is for me.  The psychologist I have to see because of my insurance told me "you know you're not nearly as heavy as most people".  I know that, but that doesn't mean that I don't have just as many problems as heavier people.  I have more health problems than some people I know that are heavier.  I'm still way too heavy for my height. Do you have any problems eating anything?  How long ago did you have your surgery?   Thanks for writing me back. Candy
carlak
on 9/17/07 10:32 pm - Bradenton, FL
Hi Candy, Dont fret you will do fine. I dont eat a lot of beef, first of all it is to high in fat, but it is hard to digest so I tend to eat a lot of chicken, fish and turkey.  I can eat most anything now. I dont do a lot of sweets. If I want something sweet I make things with splenda. or dont eat sweet things at all. It does make me nauseated most of the time. You can email me privately if you want and my email is [email protected] I grew up in the Midwest. Michigan. Carla 
image hosting site

Most Active